Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Day 2. I hear the crickets coming for me.

So, we had ourselves a 2 minute thunderstorm here this evening. Complete with two claps of thunder and that smell of rain on hot pavement I remember from Virginia.

I can count on one hand the number of thunderstorms I've seen here in Seattle. At home, they were how you knew it was summer--a thunderstorm every few days. Often dramatic. Quite sexy. Memories attached to thunderstorms don't fade for me the way other memories do ...

Anyway, this is food month, according to NaBloPoMe (read it with a southern accent, please).

Yeah, so I made a quick little pasta with the last of the season's asparagus and some morel mushrooms. This is one of the dishes I've made so many times over the past few weeks, while all the ingredients are in season, that I'm well satisfied and ready for them to move along into memory. Now if only the next season's treasures would find their way here. The weather here was miserable this spring, and everything's at least two weeks behind. Last year at this time I was bringing home flats of blueberries and scarfing them down. This year we've only just now hit strawberries. Luckily someone from across the mountains brought japanese cucumbers to the market this week, so we had some tzatziki with our falafel a couple of days ago (much better than the garlic lemon yogurt we have in the long no-cucumber months. And cucumbers and strawberries on a spinach salad are pretty perfect food.

But still, I'm ready for blueberries and peaches. I'm such a hoarder and so attached to certain foods that I could only bring myself to open the last jar of Italian plums in apple cider two days ago. I still have about a cup of frozen peaches, and 1/2 cup of frozen blueberries left, along with maybe 2 cups of frozen blackberries. I know I should have enjoyed them in the darkest winter, but there were still some apples then, so I was never desperate. And I have to be desperate to risk running out of plums and blueberries before the new ones arrive. So I guess the next hot day will be smoothies, and then there'd better be some fruit besides strawberries at the market. I've heard there'll be raspberries this week, so maybe I'll survive.

I forgot to take pictures of the asparagus and morel mushrooms. I'm a bit out of practice with this blogging thing. I'll get back in the swing of things soon.

By the way, Calamity wants to log her dinner here: two or so smushy bites of steamed carrot.

2 comments:

starrhillgirl said...

Haha! And she's back! Woo!

Yay. More food blogging.

I can't believe that kid's eating carrots. Lord.

Hard Girl said...

Eating is a bit of an overstatement.